Friday, September 11, 2009

Mascara

Mascara
I have to admit that aside from lip-gloss, mascara is my next favorite product and a must have no matter what I am doing for the day! Thanks to my Daddy, I was totally blessed with naturally curling eyelashes; thus, I have never become friends with an eyelash curler. They scare me. In fact, it makes me blink my eyes just thinking about it! Fear not, it is something I am working on because the more makeup I do, the more I realize that naturally curled eyelashes are a total blessing!
Through makeup training, I have learned that there is never just one type of product used to make something look awesome. Confused? Okay: you never see 1-3 colors of eye shadow used for a photo shoot – instead, you see 8-15… NO JOKE! Well, the same goes for mascara (not 8-15 types of mascara... you'll see what I mean!!). To make eyelashes look lushes and like a movie star, things must be done! More than one things!! This means if you lack eye some lashes, fill them in with some demsi wisps! If you lack length, you may want to get some glamorous faux-lashes to bring on some length. On top of that, several applications of mascara should be used. I know it’s really hard to describe all this on a blog but I have some pointers. =] I’m so nice.

• Night out with the girls or a special event? You probably want to go with faux lashes that look natural yet fan-tab-u-lous! I spend a lot of time staring at the faux-lashes at the makeup store… yes, more like an hour. I pay attention to what type of look I want and what type of lashes look good with that.
• For lashes that are like POW! Have more than 1 type of mascara – makeup artist’s use anywhere from 3-5 types! Become friends with a lash comb and allow drying in between applications… but make sure you separate your lashes to avoid clumping. Separating the hairs is best done with a toothpick. (Be careful!! It takes a steady hand!!)
• Aged mascara doesn’t go on smoothly. This makes you take more time to work with clumps than you should. Ideally, you want to replace your mascara every 3 months.
• To prolong my mascara life as long as possible, I use disposable applicators. I also will take a paper towel and wipe off my wand from time to time because of the clumping effect.
• I know we are all on a budget these days; there are some awesome brands of mascara that won’t break the bank. I always look for sales and if not, I love L`oreal’s Voluminous in the original and carbon… yes, I have both! A fellow makeup artist turned me onto it and I was able to find a buy one get one at Ulta!
4. Apply your mascara with a hand mirror – this allows you to see the root and exactly which lashes need some lovin’. =] Remember! Work with those angles for the perfect lashes.
• The application technique is titled, “Wiggle and Pull”. This technique allows the best application and is the best method for length and volume.
• Practice makes perfect.

So that is all I have for you… =]
xoxo mikena

0 comments: