Friday, July 3, 2009

Face Sequence

I usually get asked what the sequence to preparing your face (or beautiful canvas) for makeup is. There is a definite method to perfection when it comes to preparing your face for your makeup. I will only describe what must go in order and then the rest is up to you – if you want to put on lip-gloss before mascara… have at it!

1. Cleanse

It is really important to cleanse your face at the end of the day and then in the morning after you get up. I like to brush my teeth, and then cleanse my face to ensure that I don’t have “white lip liner”.

**Tip when you are cleansing your face after you have had makeup on, wash it twice. The first cleanse is to loosen up and remove most of that makeup you have on. The second cleanse is to deep clean your skin and pores. Think of it like washing your hands – if they are dirty enough, you wash them with soap twice to make sure that they are clean! Do the same, if not better, for your beautiful skin.

2. Moisturize

It is impossible to get even coverage if you do not moisturize your face. Moisturizing creates a smooth canvas for you to layer on. If you have oily skin and don’t like to moisturize, find something that is hydrating. I use a hydrating gel when I feel as though my skin is oily.

**A key thing is that if you don’t keep your skin moisturized, it will panic and feel the need to overcompensate – which is what produces breakouts and dreaded oil.

3. Silicone Based Primer

This stuff works miracles! I have fallen in love with it. If you are unsure of silicone based primer, read into it, head over to Sephora and get a sample of Silicone Based Primer. I have one from Smashbox and I also know that Sephora has a good product. There are others as well, I am sure they are great but I haven’t tried them. Basically the silicone fills in scars, wrinkles and gives a silky canvas for your foundation.

4. Foundation

Your foundation should be sheer – there is no reason that your foundation should show on your skin. It acts as protection for your skin. If you choose to skip the powder, do the foundation. Just know that you will have to reapply because powder is what seals in the wet foundation. The only time foundation should be noticeable is for special events when you want to create absolutely flawless skin.

5. Concealer

Ah – there is a trick to applying concealer, which will come in another blog. Concealer acts as spot treatment for blemishes or dark areas of your skin. I suggest that you use a sponge to apply and even out with the sponge, but finishing off using your ring finger.

**Tip, your ring finger is your weakest finger and it will be the nicest to your skin.

5. Powder

Again, you do not need your powder to be noticeable. Make sure you blend into your hair line and into your neck to avoid those noticeable makeup lines. Powder is also beneficial if you want to go a shade or two darker and give yourself an instant bronzing effect. The powder is what locks in your makeup and prevents everything you just did from sliding right off the moment you step into warm elements.

All these things are really important if you want to achieve a perfect canvas – depending on the event you can take it from a mall look, to a night on the town look.

I hope these things help you! Please let me know if you have any questions about it all! Or even if you have product information that will help me or someone else! Always welcome!!

xoxoxo mikena

0 comments: